Mission at OLL
The Mission Department extends God’s Kingdom by partnering with area charitable organizations to perform the works of mercy and meet the needs of parishioners and the wider community. We also identify opportunities throughout the year for OLL parishioners to volunteer at and collect items for diocesan ministries and Holland-area social service agencies.
The Mission Department provides ways to evangelize through service outside our parish walls. If you have a desire to be active and volunteer for an area agency, call or email Alyssa, read the Mission Department section of the bulletin, and refer to the bulletin board in the narthex for volunteer opportunities and ways to help in our parish and community. If you have items you want to donate but you are not sure where to take them, call Alyssa. If you want to take items to a donation site, we have a great partnership with the Holland Rescue Mission thrift store through the Corners of Your Field program that gives us 5% back on all donations made to their store. That 5% comes back to OLL in the form of gift cards that are then given out to people who call in need of household items and clothing. If you have a desire to donate food, toiletry items, diapers, and gently-used clothing, bring your donations to the St. Vincent de Paul Center wagon in the coat room.
If you need food, clothing, shelter, and/or assistance paying your bills, give Alyssa a call. She will keep your information confidential as she tries to help you in your time of need.
Note: We recently became aware that Resilience is out of alignment with Catholic teaching on abortion and human sexuality. Consequently, our parish will no longer partner with Resilience as a resource to address abuse and violence. In their place, we will turn to another agency in our area, Children’s Advocacy Center, which also helps families and children who have been abused. The Children’s Advocacy Center’s core values and practices are better aligned with Catholic teaching. We apologize for any confusion and will continue to work diligently to stay informed on our partner agencies going forward.
Mission Collections in 2022-2023
- July (All Month): Migrant Ministry (hygiene products)
- August 13-21: Corpus Christi Catholic School (school supplies)
- September 17-25: Prison & Jail Ministry (tube socks)
- November 5-13: Home and Facility-Based Parishioners (various items)
- November 19-20: Knights of Columbus (coats, hats, scarves, and gloves)
- December 1-18: Children’s Advocacy Center (cleaning supplies, hygiene items, and small toys)
- February 11-19: Doors of Hope
- March 11-19: St. Joseph’s Table for the St. Vincent de Paul Center (boxed and canned food)
- April 14-24: Gateway Mission fill-a-trailer (items to donate to the thrift store)
- April 29 – May 7: Respect Life Guild for Gateway Mission (women’s gift items)
- June 3-11: Respect Life Guild for Gateway Mission (men’s gift items)
- June 17-25: Positive Options (baby items)