Adult Faith Formation
“All adult faith formation should strive to build adult Christian communities that are strong in faith, clearly proclaim the Gospel, celebrant vibrant and reverent liturgy, and give courageous witness in charity. The following three goals guide and direct our efforts:
- Invites and enables ongoing conversion to Jesus.
- Promotes and supports active membership in the Christian community
- Prepares adults to become disciples in mission to the world.”
Parishioners at Our Lady of the Lake Church will be offered a variety of opportunities to grow and deepen their faith life while integrating it into all other aspects of their day-to-day living. They will be encouraged to discern their charisms, to grow spiritually, and to discover their call to holiness and service within the context of a supportive Christian community.
Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us, pgs 21-24
Called & Gifted (C & G)
- The role of every Catholic and local parish in the mission of the Church in the world
- The critical role of charisms in the life and service of lay Catholics in the parish, community and the world.
- The signs and characteristics of the 24 most common charisms
- How discerning and using your charisms can your life, the life of others, your parish, and the world.
Before attending the workshop, participants take the Catholic Spiritual Gifts Inventory, the first gifts inventory designed especially for Catholics. Part Two: Gifts Interview Interviewers are trained by the Catherine of Siena Institute. They help you look at your inventory results, listen to your experiences of being used by God, and help you recognize patterns in your life which might indicate the presence of a charism. Part Three: Ongoing Discernment (4 follow-up sessions) After the initial workshop and interview, participants attend an ongoing discernment group using Discerning Charisms Workbook, as a guide. A facilitator will assist you in practicing what you have discovered through the Catholic Spiritual Gifts Inventory/Gifts Interview and setting up an experiment to use a possible charisms. Each week you will reflect on your experience experimenting with the charism chosen by looking at what kind of feedback you receive from others and what happens to you personally when you are using the spiritual gift. Called & Gifted Workshop are offered twice a year – in the Fall and early Spring.
God’s Embrace attempts to make the call to holiness an attractive and appealing invitation from God to us, in our burdened and confused lives. As a school of formation, God’s Embrace embodies the spiritual disciplines and wisdom of our Catholic saints, mystics, and theologians, thus striving to offer the best in our Catholic heritage. The three-year formation program is geared to facilitate the creation of ardent disciples who would glorify God through the witness of their lives and service of the Church. The formation program relies on a threefold source:
- Familiarity with the Bible so that our spiritual formation is steeped in God’s revelation of Himself through Jesus Christ, and the Trinity’s glorious Plan of salvation for us.
- The rich heritage of Catholic Spirituality offered to us through the desert Fathers and Mothers, the mystical writings of the Church Fathers on the Trinity and Church, the contemplative traditions of the great Monastic Orders, and the ineffable teachings of the likes of Saints Francis of Assisi, Ignatius of Loyola, Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross.
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church.
The desired outcome is the living of our lives within the Trinitarian Embrace, inextricably linked to the divine life of the Trinity and to one another in Christ. If you are interested in additional information contact God’s Embrace facilitators: Jodi or John DeMott – email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lighthouse Catholic Media Kiosk
Located in the gathering space of the church, the kiosk provides quality presentations that promote knowledge of the Catholic Faith on audio CD’s, DVD’s, books, and booklets for a small donation of $3 to $5.
Spiritual and religious books, DVD’s and CD’s are available for parishioners to borrow.